Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day TWO




It's funny how today felt very relaxed, yet I got so much done. I've been spoiled with the bar being closed for the past couple of days allowing me to move around furniture and deep clean without distraction. Today I focused on the main room, and am very pleased with the progress so far. Just arranging tables and shining up liquor bottles makes a huge difference; it just FEELS so much better in the room and is a much more inviting place to eat. 
What will make it even more inviting are the pies I made tonight. I felt like a thief in the night, whipping up four ice box pies and carefully removing all traces of the completely unhealthy, white trash ingredients I used. That will be our little secret for as long as possible. Tomorrow's flavors: Summer Lime & Peanut Butter Cup. Seriously, how can the staff at Padres not love me? All I've done so far is clean and make pie. 

Being in Marfa is like living in a really great neighborhood where you can walk anywhere you want to go. You've got the best food trailer, pizza place, coffee shop, bar, etc, all within blocks of your home. Except the neighborhood is the whole TOWN. My car has remained parked except for a fruitless trip to Alpine (25 miles away) today to change signature cards at the bank. I made the most of it by stopping at the grocery store and getting some ingredients for pies and sandwiches. After getting home and realizing that I needed one more cup of cream, I was overjoyed to discover a comparable market right here in Marfa. We've also got a post office, and it was there that I felt the only stress I've had since driving with the cats. Oh, USPS! Why must you be so predictable?

Living across the street from work has been nice and I hope that doesn't change once the bar is open for business. I rationalize by thinking that when it is busy (and potentially loud), I will be there working. I feel very comfortable in the building now, and am really looking forward to seeing some action tomorrow. I'm even more excited for Friday night when Paul arrives and we have our first band. Posters arrived today for the first new band that Paul booked, a rocking duo from Austin we both like called Not in the Face. I hung them up and it feels like home. 

In other news, Buttercup took her first steps out into the backyard this morning while I sipped on my coffee. I had to catch her before she climbed all over the piles of fiberglass insulation strewn about. She ventured out a couple more times, getting bolder and going further each time. I've spotted a couple of small dogs that seem to roam freely in the morning and late evening. Butters spotted them too. We heard a few firecrackers tonight, and she is happy to just curl up on my bed in the end. 

1 comment:

  1. Another great post! Good luck on your first day open. I'm sure those pies will be a BIG hit.

    ReplyDelete