I have walked to the post office, the thrift store, the Get Go, and back to the thrift store because they were closed the first time. I even walked to the Pueblo Market today to replenish our stock of hamburger buns. No biggie, it's only four blocks away, and those buns are pretty light. Last night I walked over to Holly's house to visit her and the kitten. She adopted him earlier than she intended, which turned out to be a great thing for everyone involved. Little Sherbet, as she calls him, is getting healthy and was happily batting little balls of crumpled up paper around the room while we talked. Holly said he likes to sleep in her hair, making biscuits 'til he nods off. Abandoned kitties are always the most grateful, and therefore the sweetest.
Holly's current abode is a cute little adobe vacation-rental cottage, but she is about to move to an amazing space on the west edge of town. We grabbed a couple of Tecates and headed over there before going to dinner. Her new casita is just a little smaller than my house in Austin, but is one big room. This has always been my ideal living space, and with her background in design I know she's going to make it fabulous. Her new landlady is away in New York for a couple of months, and apparently has an unnatural interest in birds. Large cages can be seen through every window of the main house which have held everything from songbirds to vultures. Lucky for Holly, the only birds that remain are the chickens, the fantastic chickens. There is every size, color, and pattern of chicken in the roomy coop, and they run freely around the grassy backyard. I only wish I had brought my camera, as the sight of 100 chickens in every variety running at you is something that must be shared! After snatching some of the beautiful, mulitcolored eggs, we watched the sunset with no sign of man between us and the horizon.
We checked out the menu at Cochineal, but decided that Mando's better suited our mood this time. Both of us got the chile relleno burrito, and they were good. We swung by Padre's for a final drink before calling it a night, and found Norman and his family in search of some ice box pie. I had just about given up on the idea of selling pie in a bar, but they renewed my hope! I pulled out a whole lemon pie left from last week and gave it to them with a can of whipped cream to take home. Early this morning, I stole into the kitchen to make one more recipe: Paul's Mom's Grasshopper Pie. I will not desert you pie, not yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment