Today was my favorite kind of day - no schedule and nothing that had to be done by a particular time. Pure bliss. Work blended with pleasure; they are becoming the same thing.
My work errands took me to Alpine, although when I was about ten miles out of Marfa I realized that it didn't make a lot of sense to do the drive today for the two things on my list. But the scenery was beautiful, and I rationalized that my car needed to be driven for more than a mile (I think I heard that on Car Talk), so I decided to take my time and see where my nose led me. On the way into town I passed the Bikeman's shop and circled back around the block to check it out. I was told by Holly to take my bike to him for the Marfa treatment which includes thorn-resistant tubes and a layer of special goo beneath the tires. He was pleased to meet me since I'm 'over 22' in his words. That's putting it kindly.
I explored some other shops along the main street and was walking past one that seemed a bit touristy with it's metal winged pigs out front when it started raining. As a whole, the shop did seem to be a haven for visitors, but the items were a bit more pricey and carefully selected. I was directed by the nice shop owner to the clothes boutique in the back, and the sale rack where I found the West Texas desert dress of my dreams in my size. As I was checking out, she explained that it was brought from Italy by a friend of hers. Of course it was, I said, it's perfect. Not to be morbid, but if anything should happen to me, I want to be buried in this dress.
When I have no social plans (which is most of the time) I think I prefer to work in the early evening. The Padre's office is between the main bar room and outside patio, and the building stream of activity at this time of day is comforting. I was called on to help some kids retrieve the balls from our vintage Dallas Tornado foosball table. Luckily the boys knew that, once unlocked, the whole top lifts up on hinges. The parents didn't seem at all concerned that I was holding this very heavy table above their child's head while he fished around for the stuck balls. People are more trusting out here, and it's funny how at first that feels odd and unnatural.
Bikes are left unlocked and thefts are practically unheard of. So much so that the city council voted to do away with the Marfa Police Department several years ago. But don't think you won't get a speeding ticket! The highway patrol was on my tail as I was heading out of Marfa today. I was unaware of the speed limit and unaware of the officer behind me; I was going slow just to be safe. Imagine my surprise when he suddenly sped up, passed me, then turned back in my direction with his lights on! A good day, for sure.


No comments:
Post a Comment