Thursday, July 12, 2012
I am a Bartender
I was only planning on helping out last night behind the bar. I envisioned jumping in to make a few drinks ONLY when I felt comfortable with the order while trying to stay out of Leslie's way. It turned out that two bartenders were really needed several times during the night, and like the first day I cooked, my comfort level was established pretty quickly out of necessity. I was able to make every drink that was ordered from Long Island Iced Tea to tequila shots, and thanks to all of the practice making margaritas at our farewell party, I looked like a pro with the shaker. My biggest challenge is actually reading credit cards and buttons on the register in the dim lighting without pulling out my glasses like a grandma, so I will have to work out some 'modifications'. Working behind a bar is a great way to meet people. I shook many hands and had many names pass through one ear and out the other. A few stuck, and like everything else I'm learning, more are sticking every day.
We debuted french fries and fried pickle chips yesterday, and both were huge hits! Overall food sales are higher than normal...who knew fries would be so revolutionary? An emergency order is coming in tomorrow, which, with any luck, will keep us stocked through the weekend. I feel like I have created a monster, and now must work to keep it fed.
Last night was a fun one at the bar with local creative force Tavahn playing tunes by candlelight on the back patio. This was something new for Padre's, and the response was positive. Nikki, the lovely and sweet music coordinator of Ballroom Marfa, texted Paul today to say the word on the street is that we are doing good stuff; 'way to rock it!' she said.
Marfa is feeling more like home every day - hard to believe that I've only been here for 11 days. The traffic, crowds, and stress of Austin are fading away like a dream I had last week. The only thing I've missed so far besides my boy is going to the movies, of all things. There is definitely enough to keep one busy when one isn't working behind a bar or grill, though. Tonight Paul and I are heading over to The Lost Horse, run by Marfa's own Marlboro Man, Ty. A couple who stood in line behind us at the Food Shark yesterday noticed the flyer for Padre's events that Paul was holding, and won us over with their enthusiasm for everything on our calendar. We're going to see them play while we enjoy some $1 beers. Giddy-up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment