Sunday, July 22, 2012

Dance Party, Marfa-Style




Ballroom Marfa, the non-profit organization that brings art in all it's forms to Marfa, hosted a summer camp for kids this week. Because the Chinati Foundation provides free art classes for school-aged children in the summer, Ballroom decided to focus on another form of expression: they taught the kids how to DJ. We saw several of the campers on a daily basis at Padre's for fries and RC Cola, so when we heard the music from the end-of-camp performances pumping at the Capri early yesterday evening, Paul and I walked over to check it out.  




I love how the poster says 'the entire community is welcome'. It was such a joyful celebration, and we couldn't resist joining in. Dancing is very bonding, and I felt like I was also celebrating my three weeks in Marfa and the strong sense of community I feel already. 


Afterwards, we headed to Padre's where the Moondogs were getting ready to play. They are an established band from Marfa, five men and women in their late 50's and early 60's. The Moondogs take their music seriously, but play shows just for fun. I knew that they focused on 60's music such as the Beatles and Rolling Stones, but was completely impressed with their song choices. Some stand-outs were 'Paint it Black', not the typical Stones cover, and 'Things We Said Today', one of my favorite Beatles songs. Not every cover band would attempt The Who's version of 'Summertime Blues', but they nailed it. What impressed me equally were the dancers. Older couples danced in that way that people who've been married for years and years do; they seemed to have their own steps but followed right along with each other. They danced to everything from the Yardbirds to the Doors. I was mesmerized by a couple who must have been close to 70. The man had so much style and his wife was right there with him, song after song. I asked the lady working door for the band if she knew him. 'Oh, that's the mayor!', she said. 
That's it, guys. I think I've found my happy place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment