Monday, July 30, 2012

Running on Empty

I was just thinking about some of the little differences I've experienced since living in Marfa. One is the fact that I have driven my car for three days with the gas tank on empty. Just about everything having to do with my car has changed in a positive way: no looking for parking, no driving in traffic, no visiting the gas station once or twice a week. In Austin, I easily spent an hour a day getting from one place to another, and that was with living only four miles from work. Now I spend that time at work. 


For the past week I've worked non-stop, and very intensely at times. The first annual Viva Big Bend music festival ended last night with Paul's band, the Texas Tycoons, closing out the events at Padre's. From where I stood - literally -  the festival was a huge success. The bands were great, and our stock of just about everything is pretty well depleted. It's a high note to finish out my first month on, and I am so ready for a break. Running on empty doesn't begin to describe how I feel. Between the workers remodeling the house we're staying in and the cats howling to go out as soon as the sun comes up, I haven't had more than six hours of sleep a night all week. I've rotated out my three pairs of work shoes to keep my feet from hurting in the same way at the end of each day. Even now that the festival is over, I believe the only way I'm going to tear myself away from working every single day is to get out of town, and that is just what I'm doing this weekend. 


I had planned this trip back to Austin before the move, and now I have the best reason ever to go. My boy is injured and I want to be with him. A few days before his accident, I called him to make sure he was going to set aside some time from his busy work schedule to spend with me on this visit. Now that he is bedridden for weeks, that won't be an issue. My son is one of the most graceful, athletic people I know, but because he spends so much time on his bike (and skateboards in the past), I guess the odds are just against him when it comes to keeping all his bones intact. This is his third break, and the worst in that it has rendered him immobile. I'm feeling the miles of distance more than ever, but am grateful that he's got others there who love and take care of him. 


Lying in bed for a week sounds pretty good to my weary bones and muscles. It is Monday, and we should be opening shortly, but I will not do it by myself today..I declare that Padre's needs a rest just like me. I've swept up the hay that covered the dance floor after the Hickoids' great performance last night, and will now cross the street back home. It's a beautiful day here in Marfa, and I'm going to get outside and enjoy it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment