Sunday, July 15, 2012

Kitten, Limes, Adam Bork, and the Door

I was awoken at 8am from a dream in which I was having an intelligent conversation with Brad Pitt by the sound of men hauling off the piles of debris in our backyard, and I didn't even mind. No one believed that we could find someone to do this work one day, and have it finished the next. If you want something done quickly, efficiently, and WELL in Marfa, Faron is your man. He and his crew took about 5 trailer loads of boards, ceiling tiles, insulation, doors, windows, and COUCHES in about 2 hours, and left the yard spotless. The moment they drove off with the last load I let the cats out into the yard. Within 30 minutes, the smallest little kitten appeared and desperately wanted to make friends with them. She wanted nothing to do with me, but was hungry for the comfort of a mama cat or the closest substitute she could find. Neither of my cats were willing to play this role. I will give them the benefit of a doubt since they themselves were just establishing themselves in the yard, and not jump to the conclusion that they are stone-cold bithces. I, on the other hand, desperately wanted to comfort the kitten, and even sat in one place for 5 minutes meowing in response to it's constant cries while it circled me, but each time I reached my arm out to grab it, it turned tail and ran. 






Meanwhile back at Padre's, the prickly pear margarita we've had since Thursday has been a huge hit. It's bright pink color draws a lot of attention, and it's been hard to keep up with the demand. So much so that we've blown through over a case of limes in less than a week, and I made two trips to the Pueblo Market yesterday for more. We use fresh-squeezed lime juice in all of our margaritas, and this is another par that I need to up! 






Before heading to the bar for sound-check, Paul and I walked over to the Marfa Book Company for the opening of Adam Bork's video installation. He is the mastermind behind Food Shark and the late night grilled cheese parlor in his Museum of Vintage Electronics. A collector of cool old cars and 8-track tapes, Adam is at the top of my list of people that make Marfa the very special place that it is.  I ran into Holly at the opening, who said she would love to take the kitten off our hands when she moves into her new place in a couple of weeks. A cute little kitten seems like a much better trade-off than a yard full of dangerous debris, but I'm sure these next two weeks will be as grueling for my cats as their first two. 


Back at Padre's, I worked the door for Slowtrain and Jason Blum, and had a good time greeting people as they came in. A woman in a group stopping by for a beer after the play at the Crowley Theater proclaimed that she hadn't been in the building since she buried her husband! In it's most recent past life, Padre's was a funeral home, and I've heard that there are some people in town who refuse to patronize it due to superstition. She was not one of these people, and said she liked what had been done with the place. 


We ended our evening with delicious gourmet grilled cheese at Adam's, my first since moving here two weeks ago. Late night grilled cheese kind of sums up the Marfa philosophy: you can't get it all of the time, and that's what makes it special. 



No comments:

Post a Comment