Thursday, July 5, 2012
A Rainy Day in Marfa
Here is proof: it has been raining in Marfa.
Tex Toler posted this picture on facebook this evening, and if you look closely you can see the reflection of the longhorns on the front of that iconic car in the puddle below.
I experienced a small miracle this morning as I was getting ready to drive to the Verizon store in Alpine in the rain to get my new phone checked out. It hadn't been working since Tuesday, and something compelled me to give it just ONE MORE TRY before setting out. You guessed it: came right on. A coworker commented, 'that happens here,' as if Marfa were some sort of Bermuda Triangle of unexplained phenomena.
The time saved really meant nothing to me, as time itself has lost all meaning. I just grabbed my coffee and huddled for most of the day in the newly-cleaned-out Padre's office. I tackled some big tasks such as projecting our cash flow - big, because it included side tasks like creating a spreadsheet to calculate sales & mixed beverage taxes, and researching payroll data to figure out how far behind in those taxes we are. This is what I've been dying to get to for the past several weeks, and it took being in Marfa and getting the 2 foot pile (no exaggeration) of papers on David's desk in order. It's what I do and I like it. Some of you will understand, most will not. I keep seeing little areas for improvement, and that is encouraging.
I worked with the office door open all day and went from jeans, boots, and a sweater this morning, to shorts and flip-flops this afternoon. It was fun watching group after group of tourists walk up and find their way in (making our front entrance more obvious from the busy street is an immediate priority). I had no trouble focusing over the laughter and music from the game room jukebox. The other day I was told that people from Marfa are loud, and I could easily distinguish the locals from the visitors by the level of their conversation. I am in love with all of our customers right now, and want nothing more than to make them happy.
I tried to resist eating any Padre's food today - spending the day in the kitchen yesterday took something out of me - but as Yvonne, the head bartender, and I were looking over the menu discussing what, if anything, could be left off, I had a strong hankering for a tuna melt. You know that saying about how a sandwich tastes better if someone else makes it? Maybe that should be our motto.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment