Thursday, July 5, 2012

Today, I Cooked.



Today was David Beebe's last day; he is pictured above in the Padre's kitchen. I found this picture in a 3 year old online article in the Austin Chronicle about food in Marfa. This was me today. 


I have officially taken David's place, and that means that when there is no cook to work the evening shift, I am the cook. OR we tell everyone that the ktichen is closed, but I wasn't about to have that happen on my first day. So, I cooked. It wasn't very busy, but orders were pretty constant and all over the menu. There were only about 3 items that I didn't want to attempt, but I made lots of burgers, patty melts, and even a tuna melt for a very satisfied customer. Liz Lambert herself called in an order of patty melts, and I threw in a piece of peanut butter cup ice box pie for being my inspiration. I'm sure finding it in her bag raised more than one question in her mind!


Being here is giving me a feeling of happiness that is hard to put into words. I stepped outside the kitchen door a couple of times this evening between orders to feel the cool air, watch the sky change colors, and hear nothing. Padre's is across the street from an old feed mill which is very lovely viewed against the evening sky, especially when there's a train passing on the tracks behind it. This means the train is close to my house, but it is surprisingly unobtrusive. I've always loved the sound of passing trains, and hearing it makes me feel at home. I think the cats like it too. 


The full moon is making me pine for my honey who will be here very soon, and making the cats feel more strongly than ever that they need to be outside. Buttercup talked me into letting her out when I got home late tonight, and I can tell you that won't be happening again very soon. She went all around the perimeter of the yard and even crossed over to Padre's. I guess she's been watching me headed that way all day long and wanted to see what it was all about. Even though the moon is bright, many stars are visible. I realized that there hasn't been a clear night since I've been here. Will I ever get used to seeing the stars night after night? We will see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment