Saturday, July 14, 2012

Our First Rock Show



Last night Austin rock duo Not In The Face! graced our stage, and we couldn't have been happier with the turn-out and response. They sounded amazing in the room and put on a very energetic, crowd-pleasing show. I was busy behind the bar for a few hours slinging drinks, and enjoyed watching both the band and their audience. Paul and I hope this sets the tone for more great shows to come! Working behind the bar isn't all fun and glamour, and while others went out to continue the party (as we close at midnight on Fridays), I got trained in shutting down Padre's from our pro, Yvonne. It was all good, though, and I just wish every night could be exactly like this one. 




Days are feeling less like work as a lot of the harder jobs involved in getting the bar in order are being accomplished. Yesterday afternoon as I strolled around taking pictures while waiting for my laundry, I really got the sensation that I was on one big vacation. Even though I'm working hard, I'm doing what I want to be doing, and isn't that the goal in life? Doing laundry is a sure sign that you aren't just passing through, and when a big group of teenagers from a summer camp pulled into the coffee shop next door to the laundromat for ice cream, I was asked, 'what is there to see in town?' They had just come from a Chinati tour, and since they had eaten and were too young to drink, I directed them towards the galleries on the main street one block away. I wanted to say that they could just wander around and find things (like the amazing building pictured above which we just stumbled upon the other day), but this charm of Marfa is hard to put into words. I guess that's why so many photographers love it here - google it and see what I mean. Here is one of my favorites images from local artist Leslie Brown, who had her opening at the Hotel Paisano earlier in the evening. I love Leslie's stuff and had even purchased some of her pictures from the Railroad Revival Tour show in Marfa before we met. Small world, small town. 



No comments:

Post a Comment