Friday, September 14, 2012
A Cold Day In Marfa
I can't help feeling that I had something to do with the cold & windy weather that came to Marfa yesterday: I just got my bicycle out of the shop. I've walked all over town for the past 10 weeks, longing for the day when I could join the flocks of cyclists who breeze by me on their cruisers. I finally dropped off my own Bianchi with the Bike Man in Alpine for his thorn-resistant tire treatment last week, and added a cute little basket for the handlebars to my bill.
There was an intense storm in Marfa yesterday morning that woke everyone up around 4am with its downpour. On the drive to Alpine shortly after noon, clouds were so low they covered the tops of the little hills, making the desert landscape I've memorized with each passing week unrecognizable. I make this commute regularly to hit up one of Alpine's two Thriftway grocery stores which are slightly larger than Marfa's Pueblo Mart, and have gotten caught in the rain about half of the time. It seems to rain in Alpine much more than in Marfa, and as I returned to my little town with bike in tow, I spotted some blue sky between the oppressive gray.
As soon as Padres' groceries were unpacked, I hopped on my bike. I'm the kind of rider that needs a destination, so I decided to check for mail. My tiny basket was just right for a load of bills! Even though I haven't checked our post office box in three days, I found no mail for Padre's. I rode on. I've been wanting to check out the intriguing gift shop at Paisano Hotel, and was thrilled to simply lean my bike against the outside wall, unlocked and exposed. Riding a bicycle gives one such a feeling of freedom, and to be able to just ride without the worry of theft is amazing. I chatted with Donnie, one of Padre's beloved regular customers who mans the shop, and purchased a few little items to carry in my basket. There was a chilly wind blowing from the northeast, so I cut my ride short. I enjoyed my taste of Marfa on two wheels and look forward to getting around town this way before winter completely takes hold.
Having lived in Austin for 30 years, I know what to expect from the seasons there. I suffered through the unyielding heat of summer gladly in exchange for the mild winters. A few Marfa residents warned me about the difficult winter months before moving out, but I initially imagined that I'd be safely back in the familiarity of my hometown by November. Now that my trip has an open return date, I am thinking more seriously about the potentially harsh days ahead. When the subject of winter comes up with anyone who has lived here for more than a year, I hesitantly ask, 'Is it that bad?' I'm now hearing that it isn't really much different from Austin. Yes, the wind can be intense at times, but no, it rarely snows. Seeing 40 degree temperatures on the forecast in September is a little daunting, especially with only one small sweater and light jacket in my closet, but I am returning to Austin in just a couple of days and will bring back more layers of warmth. And I'm planning a train trip to the west coast for January.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment